Monday, October 27, 2014

Podcast #1 The Experiences of the "Other" on Campus

This Podcast is about my experience as a woman of color attending West Chester University a (PWI). predominantly white institution. I spoke about the feeling of living in multiple worlds/schools due to being a woman of color. I believe that being a woman of color can be seen as a access card to navigate the many worlds and subcommittees of West Chester University. I am an active member of general university life, multicultural life, fraternity/sorority life of the Divine Nine, and the music community of West Chester. Although, the access is amazing the constant feeling of "otherness" has also shaped my experience here are WCU, due to my skin color certain people tend to unconsciously speak to me in a one dimensional manner, by talking to me in "slang", projecting what they think a person of color should talk like or be like ( due to the misrepresentation of people of color in the media). Those experience of people calling me "girlfriend" "girl" "home girl" are actions of ignorance and denial, denying my human right to complexity and difference. I don't assume anyone one is alike and by no means would I ever speak to someone due to the images projected in the media.

All in all I have had an array of experiences on this campus which differ due to situations and my composition as a androgynous, bisexual, woman of color, all apart of my intersectionality and humanity.



What are some of your experiences as a person of color on West Chester University?

#college #westchesteruniversity #wcu #narratives

No comments:

Post a Comment